Journalism helped senior develop informed perspective

Lindsay Volpenhein

As I sit writing this, I am overcome by an intense feeling of nostalgia. While four years of journalism has absolutely changed me, I find it difficult to articulate how.

Where else would I begin but with a profound story that really sums up my freshman year and introduction to the Rebellion?

The tears were flowing, my nose was running, and my face was beet red.

I had just confided to my sister and friend that I had been coerced by two seniors to place a dead crab on the desk of my journalism teacher.

While I thought this was a hilarious prank, the concern from my two pals had me convinced I was destined for ISS.
After seeing the waterfall of tears flowing from my eyes, I was met with a concerned Mr. Melching asking if I needed to go see a guidance counselor.

Instead, while gasping for air, I said, “I’m sorry about the crab.”

His response was that of total confusion.

The crab, which had been wrapped up in a paper towel, had remained in that same position, unseen for two hours. He had no idea what I was talking about.

I tell that story to say this: while I was an incredibly awkward and fearful freshman, I have become slightly less awkward and much more fearless in this great school of mine.

This rocky start in the Rebellion thankfully did not stunt the growth and development that I experienced.

One of the responsibilities I faced at the Rebellion was writing about current events, which meant I had to learn about and understand what was going on in the world.

As a Rebellion staff member, I would be faced with news in a way that allowed me to think freely and form my own opinions for the first time.

Before journalism, I had loosely accepted the opinions that I had grown up with. Being involved with the Rebellion allowed me to see the world in a new way, causing me to change many of these opinions.

Not only were my world views changed, but I also gained a unique perspective on my very own school. Not many students can say that they actually visited the bomb shelters of Boone thanks to an intense bout of investigative reporting.

Very few have been able to get an inside scoop into the many teams and clubs that help to build Boone’s community each and every day.

The Rebellion facilitated this desire to explore Boone, and as I graduate, I know that it is truly with pride for my school.

Of course, all of this wouldn’t be possible without our commander in chief, Mr. Melching. I have never met a teacher who works harder or cares more about the progress of his students.

While I am not necessarily the most gifted writer, his dedication to reading draft after draft has always allowed me to be proud of the stories I put into the paper.

It is also thanks to him that I can now say that Taylor Swift isn’t the only great musician of the world, although I hold steadfast to her being the greatest one.

So, to Mr. Melching, thank you for being such an amazing teacher, coach, and lunch buddy, and I am really sorry about the crab.

I am proud to be a Rebel and I am even more proud to have been a part of the Rebellion.

P.S. While I have the chance, I would really love to formally revoke my editorial featured in the April, 2015 issue that states that elephants should remain in the circus.

Elephants should most definitely not be forced to perform in the circus.