Rebels end season with a splash!

Improvement and growth has girls primed for future

photo submitted

Boone’s girls 400-yard freestyle relay—(PICTURED AT REGIONAL FINALS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) sophomore Caitlin Bailey, freshman Sydney Whitford, junior Becca Mulroney and freshman Sophie Pile—dropped 15.3 seconds at regionals to beat Cooper by a half second.

Hanna Bishop, webmaster

Members of Boone’s girls swim team hope that the success and size of this year’s team will lead them to state next season.

With 25 members, this was a remarkably huge team that had its best performance at regionals since 2016.

The Rebels goal is to be the first girls relay to qualify for state since 2006.

Coach Lance Melching and the swimmers believe it is possible because of the progress made this season.

“I think that the girls learned that they can push themselves far beyond anything they thought they could,” Melching said. “If they keep pushing themselves like they did at regionals I think we can drop the time needed to qualify for state in 2020.”

At the regional championship on Feb. 9, the girls 400-yard free relay cut 15.3 seconds off its entry time to beat Cooper High School by less than a half second.

The 400-yard free relay of Junior Rebecca Mulroney, sophomore Caitlin Bailey, and freshmen Sophie Pile and Sydney Whitford had the best finish for a girls relay since 2016.

For many of the girls, it was the highlight of the season and Mulroney called it “something I will never forget.”

“Seeing the look on coach’s face when I jumped out of the pool, and realizing we were seconds away from beating Cooper … was definitely something to celebrate,” Mulroney said.

Other members of the 400-yard free relay were excited about their achievements this season.

Whitford qualified for finals as an individual in the 100-yard backstroke, another first for the Rebels since 2016.

She aims for a place in the top eight in the 100-yard backstroke at regionals next year, for she placed 15 this season.

During this season, she mainly focused on her backstroke. Whitford “knew” she could reach finals if she improved her backstroke.

She also wants to bring her 100-yard freestyle under a minute with hopes of bringing Boone’s 400-yard relay closer to state.

The other members of the relay are focused on improving themselves too; Pile, Bailey, and Mulroney are aiming to improve their 100-yard freestyle times.

The size of the team means that there are other swimmers who can help the team improve.

The girls swim team had a total of 11 newcomers this season and a total of 25 members overall. This year’s team could possibly be the biggest team Boone has seen according to coach Melching.

The team is especially huge compared to three years ago.

“My first year, swimming there were … about five to six girls,” Mulroney said.

Pile said that Boones’ first meet this season was exciting for returning members because of all the newcomers.

“It was so fun seeing everyone so excited to swim,” Pile said.