7 students qualify for FBLA state contest

submitted by Jenna Rose

Cole Waymeyer First in journalism

Autumn Jones, Staff Writer

Seven students from Boone qualified for the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) state competition while at Northern Kentucky University for the regional competition on March 13.

This year’s state competition will take place on April 15-17 in Louisville, Ky. While at state, the students will not only get to compete but also attend leadership conferences.

If students qualify at state, they will head to the national competition in San Antonio, Texas. To qualify, students must place first, second, or third place in their event.

Junior Noor Dahleh qualified for state with a second place win in Social Media Campaign.

Dahleh has been a member of FBLA for two years. She first joined because her brother was a member, and she decided to stick with it as she enjoys competing and learning new leadership skills.

“The competitions are great.” Dahleh said. “It’s really nerve wrecking but placing is a great reward for all the work.”

Sophomore Cole Waymeyer came in first place in the Journalism competition; he says it was a shock to him.

“I never thought I would bring home first,” Waymeyer said. “It was hard, but I used my prior knowledge from my journalism courses at Boone to help me.”

This is Waymeyer’s second year in FBLA, but he first joined because he had an interest in business. Now he enjoys it because of the friendships and competitions.

Business teacher, Jay Van Ryzin has been advising Boone’s chapter of FBLA for 14 years. VanRyzin described this year’s team as a “very good group of kids,” and he looks forward to seeing what they can do at state.

As members of FBLA, students learn important leadership skills while competing in various academic events.

Students can compete in individual, team, or chapter events. Events range from journalism to graphic design.

The goal of FBLA is to prepare students for future careers in business while providing opportunities for rewards through competition.