Boone welcomes incoming freshmen

ABOVE%3A+Smiling+wide+for+the+incoming+freshmen%2C+sophomores+Raygen+Black+and+Maddy+Hobbs+work+the+girls+soccer+table+during+transition+days.+BELOW%3A+Assistant+principal+Ken.+Woodeshick+gives+instruction+to+the+band%2C+choir%2C+and+cheerleaders+in+the+commons+before+the+eighth-graders+arrive.+

Hector Ziegler

ABOVE: Smiling wide for the incoming freshmen, sophomores Raygen Black and Maddy Hobbs work the girls soccer table during transition days. BELOW: Assistant principal Ken. Woodeshick gives instruction to the band, choir, and cheerleaders in the commons before the eighth-graders arrive.

Liam Minniti, staff writer

Boone held two days of welcoming for eighth-graders from Ockerman, Camp Ernst, and R. A. Jones Middle Schools in February.    Calling these two events “Transition Days,” Boone showcased the band, cheerleaders, choir, and various clubs and sports to the incoming freshmen.

“These days are a great opportunity to acquaint incoming students with some of the great extracurricular and athletic programs offered at BCHS,” assistant principal Ken Woodeshick said. “It also gives students time to discuss and review course offerings at BCHS in addition to familiarizing them with the school grounds.”

Students entered through the commons where they were greeted by performances from the band and cheerleaders. In the commons, Woodeshick informed students that they’d be visiting the library and large gym.

“It’s a great opportunity to showcase what Boone County is all about and showcase our programs, organizations, and athletics,” Woodeshick said.

In the library, guidance counselor Dustin Herald gave a speech about how Boone and high school in general is different from middle school.

Herald said, “It’s always nice to get new students in the building.”

In the gym, Ben Brown talked about the various clubs, activities, and sports that students could participate in at Boone.

Booths for the different clubs and sports were set up with students involved in said activities and programs running them and advertising them by handing out flyers and talking about why their club or sport is worth joining.

Assistant principal Alissa Ayres said, “We have so many great programs at Boone and this is a wonderful opportunity to showcase our talented students.”

Around 250 Boone students helped with both days and about 360 eighth-graders attended both days.

Boone has been hosting these events for three years with positive feedback from everyone involved and the community as well, Woodeshick said.

“I think our Transition Days are great ways to welcome our incoming eighth graders, and it is unique to Boone County High School,” principal Tim Schlotman said.

With the success of Transition Days, it seems that these events will continue for years to come.