Arts center to open in February 2022

New learning labs and sport facilities have been popular

Lance Melching

Principal Timothy Schlotman observes the progress on the auditorium in the performing arts center construction on Nov. 11. The 400-seat space is expected to be completed in February and should host its first events in the spring.

Brianah Harris

Boone County High School has been undergoing renovations for about a year now, and while some have been completed—such as the school lobby, learning labs, turf football and soccer field, and the track—work continues on the performing arts center.

Arts center moving along

The performing arts center, which includes a 400-seat auditorium and separate band and choir rooms, is expected to be finished by February 2022, according to Principal Timothy Schlotman. It was originally supposed to be finished by Dec. 1, 2021.

As of this writing, Schlotman said that the performing arts center is progressing. Most of the mechanicals are almost complete which would be the electric, plumbing, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. The drop ceilings and lighting is currently being installed.

There is not an occupancy date set, but there will be a grand opening event, according to Schlotman.

Learning labs getting used

The learning labs are two new multi-purpose rooms off the remodeled school lobby in what used to be the auditorium.

The labs feature a slidable glass wall and modern furniture that can be rearranged for different purposes.

Instructional coach Megan Steffen schedules the learning lab, and she said it has been used everyday since it was made available in the beginning of October. She says she loves the space for several reasons.

“I think it makes our oldest high school look like our newest when you walk in the front doors,” Steffen said.

She also said the space is unique, and that makes it popular.

“The flexible seating is a nice break from classroom desks and when the glass wall is removed, more than one class can work together in there,” Steffen said.

She also thinks it is helping kids prepare for the future.

“When students leave high school and go to work or college, they will most likely encounter spaces just like these in those settings where employees or students can collaborate on projects and other work that needs to get done,” Steffen said.

New turf ‘spectacular’

Athletic director Lance Melching said the new turf was “spectacular” and named many benefits including less wear and tear on the grass ball fields, fewer cancelations, and the ability to host the girls regional soccer championship.

“Everyone who has seen our turf has said it is beautiful and our school colors look great,” Melching said. “We also got a lot of compliments from the regional soccer tournament about what a great surface it was to play on.”